This is the perfect dish for someone who claims to “not really be a fish person!” This is not a very “fishy” dish! But I will say that it was absolutely delicious! I live at the beach so fresh fish is a must in my diet!
Whole30 Almond Crusted Flounder
- 2 flounder filets. A little over half a pound.
- 1/2 cup of shelled almonds
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Whole30 mayo (this is mostly olive oil anyway and contains egg)
- 3 tbsp virgin olive oil or use your discretion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, pour in the almonds and brown them for up to 5 minutes, shaking or stirring to flip. They will brown quickly.
- Put toasted almonds in a food processor and blend until they are tiny pieces. *Note: I did not follow directions here and actually put all of the ingredients into the food processor at once, which ended up being a major fail. I had to hand chop the whole mix afterward. So if mine looks a little different than yours, that’s why.
- In a small bowl, mix the chopped almonds, mustard, mayo, and garlic together and mash to a paste. You can add salt and pepper to this mix, but I preferred to salt and pepper the fish on each side before searing it in the skillet.
- Turn your burner to medium and let your castiron skillet warm up before covering the bottom of it with olive oil. Lay the salted and peppered filets down in it. Cook for 1 minute on each side. Be ready with a spatula to flip because they cook quickly.
- Remove from heat and smear the almond mixture all over the top of the fish. It should stick easily and don’t worry about it looking pretty. You just want to move quickly with this.
- Put your fish in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Don’t be afraid to pull it out sooner if you feel like the fish was already halfway cooked on the stove. Mine wasn’t in the oven for long.
- With a pot holder, pull the pan out of the oven and check the doneness of the fish. I used a knife on the thickest part of the filet.
- Serve with your favorite sides! Enjoy!